To be admitted to our PhD programme, you must be in possession of a Master's degree or have successfully obtained an equivalent qualification at a foreign institute of higher education (see Doctorate Regulations, 8.1-4). If you are in doubt about your qualifications, please consult the website of Nuffic or send an email to our Graduate School.
There are various ways in which you can get in contact with the Graduate School and get accepted as a PhD candidate. If you know already your specialization area and/or have a prospective supervisor in mind, the easiest way is to have an informal contact with him or her and explore the possibilities of a PhD trajectory. If you are not yet certain about the direction of your career, you can also contact the Director of the Graduate School or other staff members of our faculty.
REGISTRATION IN HORA FINITA
Registration takes place through Hora Finita, our registration system for PhD candidates, which covers the whole process from registration to graduation. For all your communication, please use the emailadress of the Graduate School's office: email@example.com.
When you have found a suitable topic for your dissertation and have come to an agreement with a supervisor (including a Training and Supervision Plan), ask your supervisor (!) to request the office of the Graduate School to start the registration procedure. You will then receive a notification through email with further instructions. Please respond promptly.
In order to complete your registration, you will be asked to fill in your personal details and to upload the following documents:
- A Letter of Application, indicating your intention and motivation to follow a PhD trajectory at the Faculty of Theology at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, including a brief summary of your intended research area.
- A Curriculum Vitae including academic work carried out.
- A copy of an identity document that is legally valid in the Netherlands (such as a passport, a driving license or an ID-card).
- Your TSP as approved by your supervisor(s), including, in case of exemption requests, evidence of the curriculum components which you have followed, certified diploma supplements and/or original transcripts.
- A signed copy of the code of conduct
- If applicable, the score of your English language test (TOEFL or equivalent). Proficiency in written and spoken English is an absolute requirement. This will be determined on the basis of a score of 580 or above (237 or above in the computer version, and 92 in the Internet Based Test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or an equivalent score in another accepted language test.
Certified copies of your relevant diploma's (by regular mail) must be sent to the office of the Graduate School of Religion and Theology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Faculty of Religion and Theology, De Boelelaan 1105 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands. A notary public, your university or another public institution must certify the copy. These copies must be posted by regular mail, since the certification loses its validity if scanned. (if these documents are not in Dutch, English, French or German, they must be accompanied by a certified translation in one of these languages).
We kindly ask you to send us all the application documents in one mail (or delivery through regular post). If, e.g., your TSP is not ready (and signed by you and your supervisor), please wait with sending us the other reqested documents.
After successful registration and approval, you will receive a Letter of Acceptance, including further instructions about payment of the yearly fee, VUnet-ID, and registration for online courses. Your membership will be activated only after payment of the fee.
The next step is the formal submission of your research proposal to the Doctorate Board. After you have completed the course on Research Design and your proposal has been presented to one of the faculty's research groups, your supervisor will send it to the Doctorate Board for formal approval. After the Doctorate Board has positively advised on your proposal, your supervisor will upload the final version (with signature) in Hora Finita for approval by the Dean of the Faculty.